Wednesday, February 16, 2011

An Industrial Revolution??!

What an age in which we live! In my lifetime, I have seen more rapid change than I could have ever imagined in my youth. The population in England has increased almost two times since 1750, and today it approaches 275 million. This is because the death rate is also decreasing due to the decline in epidemics and the rise in agriculture for increased food production. Even still, I cannot believe the growth of the cities! I suppose this is the result of the rise in manufacturing and industry here in the cities. Whereas before, one would only see the town centers and government and princely courts, now have crowded around these the steam engines and large cotton factories, the textile and iron industries, and even the advent of the cheaper metal—steel, has come about. The most exciting local advancement was the start of the railroad line back in 1830, from Manchester to Liverpool. This is great for both the local industries and just taking trips to visit friends and family in Liverpool. Now, with the new government bureaucracy making everything more systematic, and the solid banking and financial institutions, we have become one of the wealthiest nations in the world!

As such, it is devastating to see that among all this wealth, progress and growth in our nation, we must also see the poverty and squalor in our great cities. I saw a lot of child  labor throughout the country, and

Here's a picture of some children working in horrific conditions.

Though my investigations from the Poor Law Commissions, I have seen how the filth in our cities has produced the most outrageous epidemics that spread through these overcrowded communities that cannot help the conditions in which they live. I hope to bring about a change in this system, so that all of the nation can enjoy a sanitary environment with efficient sewer systems, which they may access pure water. After seeing these miserable conditions with my own eyes, and leading extensive research on the causes of such filth, I am abhorrent that we allow our citizens to live in this manner! I will do everything in my power to advocate the Public Health Act so that all can live with a sanitary means. 

Below this, is a picture of the pollution caused by one factory. 





3 comments:

  1. Dear Mr. Chadwick,

    I am forever grateful for what you have done to improve the lives of the working class. I would sit in my reading chair and just think about the horrors of working conditions and sanitation. Your poor laws have begun to help solve the problem with the poverty stricken people in this land. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Senor Chadwick,

    I too am grateful for your work and effort that provided a better society not just in England but in my country of Argentina as well. Although I have no experience in the working class, people that I love and respect work in horrible conditions and I am glad to see someone trying to make a difference for them. Thank you for your time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is true that I supported industrial growth, but I did not pay close attention to the filthiness that would be caused by it. Your close inspection regarding the sanitary conditions of the cities and factories is very appealing. I'm happy to say that I am very excited about the railroads too! If time approves, I would like to discuss things on industrial development with you!

    ReplyDelete