Friday, February 18, 2011

The Living Conditions of the 19th Century

The 19th Century has completely changed the living conditions of our society since the beginning of what we believe is an Industrial Revolution. I saw population of cities rise into the 50% margin in the 1850’s rather than the 20% that used to live here when I was born. I saw the desolate working conditions for the working class when I observed them, the filth that was involved… I was disgusted! Ugh.. I started to advocate reforms consisting of efficient sewers and a supply of piped water. I mean people couldn’t be healthy with these sorts of conditions around them.

I felt the need to be a civil servant observing these horrific living conditions. I became obsessed with eliminating the poverty and squalor in the metropolitan areas.

Here’s what the city looked like, and I’m feeling filthy just looking at it.


I came up with the idea of having a drainage system because there was so much dump and filth throughout the streets and roads. We also needed an effective watery system to bring water to the workers. I saw the filth and the thirst in the workers eyes; this could definitely bring death to many working class citizens. I created the Report on the Condition of the Labouring Population of Great Britain, and six years after my concern towards this issue Britain created the First Public Health Act. I was thrilled with this as it empowered to form local boards that would establish the modern sanitary systems we live in as of 1880. I definitely give a salute to the National Board of Health for the drastic changes the made throughout Great Britain.

Here is a video on buildings I saw, and how they changed over time. Credits to Rosie Foale. 


2 comments:

  1. Dear Edwin,
    I agree with everything you have said! Thank goodness Britain issued the First Public Health Act, because people need to realize the importance of sanitation. Numerous patients come into my clinic due to the unsanitary living conditions our society has learned to accept! On my behalf, I would like to thank you for advocating a change in out sanitary system!
    Thank you,
    Elizabeth Blackwell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mr. Chadwick,
    I see that you have solved the drainage system!! Congratulations my good chap!!! Because of you, there are going to be higher moratlity rates!! You have truly outdone yourself. The drainage system will keep waste off everyting and keep it in an isolated area. With this, there will be higher production of agriculture which in turn, will provide a boost in the economy, which is my area of expertise. Keep up the good work!!!
    Sincerely,
    David Ricardo

    ReplyDelete